Somalia is ranked only second to North Korea on the list of the countries who are the worst persecutors of Christians.
The faith of new converts in Somalia costs them dearly. Mohammed’s wife left him and took their child when he stopped attending the mosque. He lost his job and an attack on him almost cost him his life. He says despite the isolation and persecution he is at peace with God. “This is why I hold on to Christ and will never go back to Islam.”
Zemzem was beaten by her husband then divorced. She was homeless, has been jailed and is insulted wherever she goes. She is left to bring up three sons aged between 7 and 11. She lives in one room with no bed and does odd jobs. Open Doors has assisted her with bed, linen and cooking utensils. She has secret believers as her spiritual family.
Leader: President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud
Pop: 10.3 million (a few hundred Christians). Somalis in other countries nearly 10 million.
Islam with Islamic extremism.
There is terrible pressure on the tiny Christian minority in this country. Government and Islamic leaders publicly reinforce that there is no room for Christians and there is a strong drive to purge Christianity from Somalia. Al-Shabaab target believers and 10 were murdered in 2013. There is much fear and mistrust among Christians who have to hide their faith. Missions help with livelihood projects. Many women converts are divorced by Muslim husbands and left desolate, even homeless with children. Young people are taught to bear arms and kill.
- Praise that God has preserved a witness.
- For the few isolated believers-means to grow and meet and mature.
- For more freedom to worship.
- MERF broadcasts are heard clearly say believers and they speak of being surrounded by human wolves but add that Christ is a stronger lion.
- Pray these believers will live out their faith in such a way that others will turn to him.
- The three most corrupt countries worldwide are Afghanistan, North Korea and Somalia-interesting that they are also among the worlds worst
- persecutors of Christians.